Resistance crushes creativity. But what is creative resistance?
Actually, it can be anything that stops you from creating, like almost cutting your thumb off when you’re cooking dinner so typing is hard (yep – that’s happened to me TWICE).
Or, maybe it shows up as procrastination or perfectionism. As a creative, there’s one thing you can count on. It WILL show up. So, how do you get through it?
As a creative, there’s one thing you can count on. It WILL show up. So, how do you get through it?
One of my fav books on the creative process is The War of Art by Stephen Pressfield. He tackles this topic unapologetically, and it’s one of my go-to books that I revisit every year or two.
Because unfortunately, the creative resistance beast is something that I’m struggling to slay right now. I know it well.
In this solo episode, I discuss:
- what creative resistance actually is
- why I don’t think there’s any such thing as “writer’s block”
- the surprising potential (and not so great) consequences of failing to break through creative resistance
- three steps to break through it
Click here to read a transcript of this episode.
Links Mentioned in the Show
- Stephen Pressfield’s book – The War of Art
- Episode 2 where I talk about taking yourself on an Artist’s date to fire up your creativity
- Episode 10 where Abby Beauchamp talked about realizing that her couch was a much better creative “space” for her to write than her office
- Two posts with warm-ups and ideas to get your creative writing juices flowing:
- Subscribe to the newsletter to hear about upcoming programs mentioned in the episode.
Like the Podcast?
Are you a subscriber? If not, invite you to subscribe, so you’ll get notified every time a new episode goes up.
Click here to subscribe on iTunes.
Click here to subscribe on Stitcher.
And, if you’re enjoying what you’re hearing, I’d be super grateful if you left me a review. Those help other creative souls find this show, and they’re fun to read! Click here to leave a review. Then, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review.” Thanks so much!
Stay Connected with Amy
Take the Quiz to find out your play persona and get started playing, creating, and enJOYing your life.
Connect on Facebook
Connect on Instagram