Yes, I did name this episode Entering the Art Hole…because it was a highlight of my conversation with graphic artist and illustrator, Ashley Bradley.
After having her second child, and then a third shortly thereafter, Ashley Bradley learned that while she loves her kids (and they will get fed), she must feed herself with a steady diet of creative pursuits. As a self-taught artist, Ashley has grappled with the creative demons that plague many of us.
In this episode Ashley and I talk about:
- The innate creativity we all have and how we MUST express it in some way
- Imposter syndrome and taking baby steps to work through that
- How saying YES to creative opportunities can push us even when it’s scary and we don’t feel ready
- And the art hole…the space where Ashley creates
Favorite Quotes from Ashley Bradley of The Rosie Pen:
- “Practicing what I was seeing others doing gave me the opportunity to step into my own creativity and to figure out how I wanted to express myself with my art and make it my own.”
- “Baby steps are a huge part of the creative process.”
- “You gotta do the damn thing.”
- “Just go into an art hole. Just go.”
Ashley is the founder and owner of The Rosie Pen, where she designs graphics and illustrations for clients. She also teaches hand and brush lettering classes.
You can find her on Instagram @therosiepen or you can browse her Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/therosiepen.
Like the Podcast?
Are you a subscriber? If not, invite you to subscribe, so you’ll get notified every time a new episode goes up. Click here to subscribe in iTunes.
And, if you’re enjoying what you’re hearing, I’d be super grateful if you left me a review. Those help other creative souls find this show, and they’re fun to read! Click here to leave a review. Then, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review.” Thanks so much!
Take the Quiz to find out your play persona and get started playing and creating in your life: https://amyisaman.com/quiz
Connect with Amy on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/authoramyisaman