My guest this week, novelist Sandy Barker, is hilarious, loves to travel, and has a soft spot for a good romance novel. She’s been able to tie all that together into a successful career writing romantic comedies most of which are set in exotic locations. In this episode, Sandy shares how she went from self-publishing to landing multi-book deals with a major publishing house as well as an agent, writing tips, how she’s come up with some of her ideas and more. We touched on so much when it comes to writing there are honestly too many little nuggets of wisdom to list here.
In this episode, we discussed:
- How she went from self-publishing to landing an agent and a deal with Harper Collins
- How writing in the morning before her day job is the best way she’s found to get her books written while working full-time
- Why she thinks reading (and reading a lot) in her genre gives her inspiration, especially when she’s feeling blocked
- Why a solid reversal in the middle of your book is key to avoiding a saggy (boring) middle
- The power of a pause of a few weeks to let your brain work on your book when you’ve written yourself into a corner
- How dreams can get us some of our best ideas
- Why she writes in and prefers writing in 1st person POV
The Holiday Romance Series:
- One Summer in Santorini (#1)
- That Night in Paris (#2)
- A Sunset in Sidney (#3)
- A Sunrise Over Bali (#4)
- NEW RELEASE: A Wedding in Tuscany (#5)
Hilarious Stand-Alone Novel
Some of Sandy’s Favorite Novels
- The Thorn Birds, Colleen McCullough
- To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
- Go Set a Watchman, Harper Lee
- Shakespeare, esp. the original rom com, Much Ado About Nothing
- The French Photographer, Natasha Lester
- I Heart New York – the first rom-com she read that made her believe that she too could write this genre
Meet Sandy Barker
Sandy is a writer, traveler, and hopeful romantic with a lengthy bucket list, and many of her travel adventures have found homes in her novels. She lives in Melbourne Australia with her partner, Ben, who she met while traveling in Greece. Their real-life love story inspired Sandy’s debut novel One Summer in Santorini, the first in the Holiday Romance series with One More Chapter, an imprint of HarperCollins. She has now published 4 books and she’s done all of this while working full-time at Pearson as an adult learning specialist.
Connect with Sandy Barker
Like the Podcast?
Are you a subscriber? If not, I invite you to subscribe, so you’ll get notified every time a new episode goes up.
Click here to subscribe on iTunes.
Click here to subscribe on Stitcher.
And, if you’re enjoying what you’re hearing, I’d be super grateful if you left me a review. Those help other creative souls find this show, and they’re fun to read. To leave a review, open up the podcast in your podcast player, and scroll down to the bottom where it gives you the option to review the show.
Stay Connected with Amy
Subscribe to the newsletter to find out about workshops, receive writing tips, and join co-writing sessionsConnect with Amy on LinkedIn.
Connect with Amy on Instagram.